May 28, 2012

Meet a sister from Nigeria

 
As you have read previously, Leuven/Louvain is basically a student town. Right now most of the students are in front of their books as the beginning of the exam period is approaching. As a result the city looks and feels different. 
The sister in white was an extremely elegant apparition in the quiet streets on Sunday morning. Her dress looked gorgeously fresh and perfect for our little heat spell. I asked her if I could take her picture, where she was from, etc.
Her name is Sister Eucharista and she is from Nigeria. Her Dutch was perfect which really impressed me. She belongs to the order Daughters of Mary, Mother of Mercy. I did not exactly get a chance to talk about the reasons for her stay in Leuven as I was interested in and asking questions about her  beautiful atire, made of light Poplin, I guess although I am not a connoisseur of materials. I might run into her again and if so, I will continue my little inquiry.
http://www.dmmm.org/

13 comments:

  1. Good for you for going to talk to the nun and getting good proper photos and information too.

    Most of my nun pictures are stealth shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    thanks for your visit!
    Miky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the dress is shorter and white, the style of Sisters clothes, veil and habit are identical to the ones the Sisters wore in the grade school I went to when I was a child. The only difference was that the nuns where I went to school at wore black habits that came to the floor with laced up black shoes. Boy, does this bring back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat goed dat je dat zomaar vraagt en dat je nog heerlijke foto's mag maken ook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sisters here in the states dress quite differently these days, too. Really interesting post for the day, Anni, as always! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zeer mooie foto. Ik moet dit meer doen, mensen aanspreken om hun foto te trekken.

    Groetjes,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo Anni,
    Mooi spontaan portet! Ikzelf ben niet goed in dit soort fotografie...
    Groetjes,
    Frans

    ReplyDelete
  8. La dernière tante qui me reste a 95 ans, elle est "soeur blanche" c'est-à-dire missionnaire. Elle a vécu tant qu'il lui a été possible en Algérie où elle était infirmière dans une oasis mais maintenant elle est à la retraite à Lille. Elle ne porte plus le voile depuis bien longtemps... Les soeurs blanches sont en civil avec juste une croix au cou...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're on your way to 100 Strangers! I love this happy lady. Great shots.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  10. those unexpected encounters are the best. looking forward to reading more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elegant indeed. And it's always impressive when someone from far away speaks your language, tho sadly English is so universal that it's not true for us.
    I am intending to learn Dutch - there are evening classes at Edinburgh University.

    ReplyDelete